Pages

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Tunnel Vision


Tunnel Vision

I hate to admit it but it's true, sometimes I suffer from tunnel vision.  When I get started on something like a project that I'm all fired up about there's practically nothing that can tear me away from it. 

Having tunnel vision can sometimes get in the way if I've got other things tend to (like a family and a home).  But having tunnel vision has certainly served me well in my life time.  I'm goal oriented, results minded, and a hard worker.  So yes I like to think that my tunnel vision has had a purpose.  

I know these qualities have definitely made me into a great student, an excellent employee and most importantly the best home manager I can be.  

But over the past few rainy day days- being cooped up in the garage, working on my projects like some bleary eyed like a maniac, has got me rethinking my innate tendency to be driven.

Being ultra focused on the end result can make us unconscious of the "process."  It can make us sloppy, especially if we work ourselves to the point of exhaustion.  And it can lead us to ignore other responsibilities and relationships.

I have a problem with leaving things undone.  Yes I do.  I want them finished so I can move on to the next thing, and the next and the next (you get the picture).  Not so good.

Thinking about this got me wondering about me and how I'm still "undone"- How I'm a work in progress.  Hmmmm.... Seems like God takes his time with important jobs.   I could learn a few things from him.

Maybe I'll start taking my time a bit more and really enjoy how this whole thing unfolds.  Oh I'm still gonna be working on my projects, but perhaps I'll approach them a little differently.  Taking my time on the larger projects, breaking them down into smaller chunks of time, sprinkling in few smaller projects here and there and keeping up with all the other demands all without wearing myself out.

So I'll be making little mental shift.  That's progress for you.

Keep moving forward,


Elizabeth










1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed your post today, you really seem to have hit the nails head. We should all look to live as a bunch of small jobs leading to the end product.
    Love your stuff,

    ReplyDelete